Bridgwater was among the first communities to be visited by Methodist Preachers. George Whitfield preached here in 1738, and had the hose of the town fire engine turned on him. John Wesley followed in 1746 and visited Bridgwater at least eleven times.
It was not until the beginning of the 19th century that a local congregation became properly established and built a chapel in King Street. Over the next hundred years the Methodist community in the town grew and diversified. King Street chapel was enlarged in 1860, at about the same time a group of Primitive Methodists opened a second chapel in West Street. A third chapel in St Mary Street was opened by Free Methodists in 1854 and a fourth by Bible Christian Methodists in Polden Street in 1876.
During the twentieth century these separate congregations gradually came together so that by 1980 all Bridgwater Methodists belonged to one united church meeting in Monmouth Street Chapel. In 2001 a major programme of renewal began that has transformed the chapel and schoolrooms into a centre for church and community work in the twenty-first century.
The aim of the Bridgwater Methodist Church is to be good news for the people of Bridgwater. We welcome all into the life of our community, regardless of age, race, gender, or class.